Sunday, 12 May 2013

Introduction

I've just completed the first year of my Illustration degree at the University of Lincoln. I'll be using this blog to upload artwork from my course as well as freelance and personal illustrations.

Here is an example of some of my first year work.


This is a sample of illustrated Haikus based on news stories found in various UK based newspapers on a single day. I bound the illustrations in the from of a hand-made book.


This is a client visual from a project titled 'Reboot'. The brief required that I take a well known, traditional piece of art and rework it in another style. This was one of my ideas for rebooting 'Napoleon Crossing The Alps' by Jacques-Louis David. I took aspects of the original image and incorporated them as tattoos on Napoleon's hand. I focused on the hand as it was a key focus point of the original painting.


This is a series of postcards I was asked to create to illustrate Haikus that explored 'The Meaning Of Life'. I decided to focus each postcard on 'Birth', 'Life' and 'Death'.




This was part of a small illustrated book project titled 'The Endangered Island'. I developed a character with was a hybrid of an Emu and a Porcupine with mechanical aspects. The ideas was that the creature was trapped on an island where certain events were causing the creatures on the island to become endangered.

I decided to place the creature in a woman's hair as this brought to mind many hair related scenarios where the creature could be in danger; combing, washing, cutting, drying and more. Here is the front cover and 3 examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment